WHAT IS OLAPLEX?Olaplex is seen as a technological breakthrough in the cosmetic industry. It is an agent that promises to structurally protect and repair hair from harmful reactions resulting from thermal or chemical treatments such as hair coloring, perms or frequent straightening of your hair. The immediate result is strong, bouncy and shiny hair. Stars like Cameron Diaz, Emma Stone and Jennifer Lopez are big fans of Olaplex. The main ingredient of Olaplex, Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate, is able to find broken sulfur bridges in the hair and reconnect them. As a result, the sulfur compounds return to their original state. So even if you have lost your curls, they will return after an Olaplex treatment. We will spare you the further chemistry lesson, but it is good to know that Olaplex really (promises) to deal with your damaged hair in a structural way! It consists of a three step system. The first two steps are done by hairdressers before and after, for example, a blonde treatment. The third step is home treatment.
OLAPLEX FOR CURLSOlaplex is thus designed for color, heat and other chemical treatments and therefore not “necessary” at first glance for people who follow the Curly Girl Method. If all goes well, they avoid dyeing and heat. Nevertheless, the now famous product can offer a solution for women with curls, who generally suffer from dry and brittle hair more often. You can also use Olaplex as a deep conditioning treatment, which promises to restore your hair instead of temporarily patching it up. So your hair will not return to its damaged state once you stop using Olaplex. That way, Olaplex can do a lot for your curls! Many people think that Olaplex is only suitable for hair that has been damaged by dyeing, blow drying or straightening. But it is suitable for every hair type. Your hair can also be damaged by the sun, for example, if you often go on holiday to sunny countries. So is your hair dull, dry, limp, frizzy, lifeless, and does it break more quickly? Then Olaplex is a good option for you.
WHAT DIFFERENT TYPES OF OLAPLEX ARE THERE AND IS OLAPLEX CG-PROOF?Olaplex offers different types of products, each of which has its own purpose. The basis consists of the three-step system. In addition, Nos. 4-7 added; these are shampoos, conditioners and styling products. Olaplex is free of parabens and oil, contains no sulfates, is vegan and is not tested on animals. There are a number of Olaplex products that contain silicone and are therefore not CG-proof. Below we list which are and which are not. Also read: Vegan hair care for curls
CG-PROOF: OLAPLEX NO. 1, NO. 2 AND NO. 3These products are all CG proof. Nos. 1 and 2 are not available to the consumer, but may only be performed by professional salons. No. 3 is for at home, which you can easily obtain and is fully approved according to the Curly Girl Method. What the Nos. 1 to 3 do?
- Olaplex No. 1 Bond Multiplier: this is the first step of an Olaplex treatment. This will prevent damage from the chemical treatment and start the process of repairing the damage to the hair. The product is designed to be mixed with the paint before it is applied to the hair.
- Olaplex No. 2 Perfector: The second step of an Olaplex treatment is to repair the hair and rebuild the remaining broken bonds. Applied after the paint has been rinsed, this product promises to reduce hair breakage.
- Olaplex No. 3 Perfector: The third step of the Olaplex treatment is a home treatment that promises to reduce breakage and visibly strengthen the hair. You use this product once a week.
NOT CG-PROOF: OLAPLEX 4, 5, 6 AND 7
The other Olaplex products are additions to the three-step system. All of these are not CG-proof, as they contain non-water-soluble silicones. Still curious what the Nos. 4 to 7 do? A short explanation:
- Olaplex No. 4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo: nourishing and repairing shampoo.
- Olaplex No. 5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner: nourishing and repairing conditioner.
- Olaplex No. 6 Bond Smoother: leave-in and styling cream.
- Olaplex No. 7 Bonding Oil: styling oil.
OTHER BRANDS PLEX
Of course there are also other brands that have developed plexes, often cheaper. But there is no other product with exactly the same effect as Olaplex. Olaplex has a patent on the unique ingredient. Other brands therefore often use Maleic Acid, which is also a good substance that makes hair stronger. But the difference is that this ingredient cannot permanently repair the sulfur bridges: it only fills the gaps.
HOW TO USE NO. 3 PERFECTOR OF OLAPLEX FOR CURLS?
We will discuss the product Olaplex No. 3 Perfector, because this is the only product you can use at home and is CG-proof. The product is different from most hair products that temporarily mask hair damage as it repairs structurally damaged hair cuticles and prevents further damage. It is very easy to use:
- Apply the product to towel-dried hair.
- Leave it on for an hour. The packaging says that you have to let it soak for at least 10 minutes, but for a really good result we recommend longer.
Many women with curls who wear Olaplex No. 3 uses have a very positive experience: they have softer, smoother curls, experience less frizz and less breakage. In addition, Olaplex improves curl definition. We would say… what’s not to love ?!
Are you already using Olaplex? If you have any questions about it, feel free leave a comment below!
Save this article to Pinterest: